Sunday, September 30, 2012

Good Things Make Good Things


For the second time this week, I've been lucky enough to see Brendan James perform live. When I saw him on Thursday at the living room show, I asked him (apparently more desperately than I meant to) to play 'Take the Fall' at his show on Saturday 1. because it's my favorite song by him and has been since about 2007 and 2. because I think it's one of his most honest songs. Well, during the show, he gave a shout to me as that guy that really wanted to hear 'Take the Fall'.  Yes, I felt like a groupie, but it was amazing that he actually took the time to fit that song into his set-list. Apparently, he's just that kind of thoughtful person. And for the record, his performance of it was amazing. But when I got home last night, I sat up 'til about 4:30 writing a new song called 'Sinking' and have totally fallen in love with it. Finally decided to go to sleep, but before doing so, I listened to the demo recording I made of my new song and I wasn't sure how it had all gotten there. It was as if the time spent writing it was blank for me and the only thing that matter was the product on the other side. That's happened to me only once before when writing a song and it's a fantastically confusing experience. I'm really proud of this one and I think it marks a big change in the type of songwriting I'm capable of. Seeing Brendan play and meeting so many cool people lately, I guess good things make good things. We'll see, though. I'm never quite sure until the song sneaks onto a stage and evokes some type of reaction, but, fingers crossed, this one's different.

d.

-- Also, here's the video of Brendan playing 'Take the Fall' last night. Awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment